Forum Wiki SponsorShop
18 November 2017, 20:14:03 English Nederlands *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Leden hebben meer voordelen dus registreer je snel als lid!! Voordelen van een registratie zijn oa: Zelf kunnen posten op het forum - mogelijkheid van emailnotificatie als er een reactie is op een je eigen posting - mogelijkheid van email notificatie op een nieuwe posting op een onderwerp van een ander dat je wilt vervolgen - private mail kunnen ontvangen en verzenden naar andere forum gebruikers - overzicht van nog niet gelezen postings - toegang tot lezen en plaatsen van berichten in het vraag&aanbod forum -

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEDSdriver now has full-color-LED support (V0.9.015)  (Read 9345 times)
hveijk
Guru

« on: 29 September 2008, 19:56:29 »

Version 0.9.015 adds support for full-color LEDs connected to the COM port. This type of LED actually contains 3 separate LEDs (red, green and blue), combining these gives the ability to show 7 different colors.

I have replaced the power LED of my Dign HV5 case, it now shows the following events:

Whitesystem powered on (for user operation)
Bluethe system is awake for an automated task or in Away mode
Redrecording one channel
Magentarecording two channels
Greenextender in use

Other available colors are: Cyan and Yellow.

When there is something being recorded and there is an extender in use the LED color will alter from red to green to red to green etc.

The power events have lower priority and will be overruled by the recording and extender events.

All this is of course fully configurable to meet your personal needs.

Different types of LEDs

There are two different types of true color LEDs:

-   Common Anode (CA) (all positive connections tied together)
-   Common Cathode (CC) (all negative connections tied together)

LEDSdriver supports both types of LEDs.

The CA LED will burn white when LEDSdriver does not run (yet). This can be very useful when it is used to replace a power LED. The CC LED will be off until LEDSdriver is started (might be a better solution for all other situations).

Wiring

LEDSdriver supports both CC and CA LEDs, only a little different wiring is required:

Full-color LED, Common Cathode

Full-color LED, Common Annode

The extra connection to pin 1 tells LEDSdriver what type of LED is connected.

The difficulty with this type of LED comes with the resistors. They need to be different for each color and probably per brand of LED. If the resistors do not exactly match the LED white will not be pure white.

The diagrams are based on the 90 degrees full color LEDs sold by the company mentioned on my website (sorry, I am not allowed to give direct links here).

I have tested several types of LEDs, the biggest angle gives the best LED to use as an indicator LED (to look straight into). LEDs with smaller angles will give a less pretty result.

I am still working on these diagrams to improve the colors and normalize the intensity.

I will also update the older diagrams since LEDSdriver is now able to detect different LED configurations and use their possibilities to the max (the old diagrams will still work).

You can download the latest LEDSdriver version from the Slick Solutions website

Enjoy the new features,

Herman
« Last Edit: 14 August 2009, 21:06:57 by hveijk » Logged

Slick Solutions (subforum) - MCE Standby Tool, LEDSdriver, Slick Radio
Al eens gekeken in de "degroeneknop sponsorshop"?
Met de aanschaf van artikel uit de sponsorshop steun je het DGK initiatief en voor de prijs hoef je het niet te laten want die is gunstig!

DigitalDevices DVB tuners KeuzeBundel
(black) MediaCenter AB set - 29 eur.

dus check snel
www.degroeneknop.nl/sponsorshop/
taco-man

« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2010, 12:53:42 »

Wiring

LEDSdriver supports both CC and CA LEDs, only a little different wiring is required:

Full-color LED, Common Cathode

Full-color LED, Common Annode

The extra connection to pin 1 tells LEDSdriver what type of LED is connected.

The difficulty with this type of LED comes with the resistors. They need to be different for each color and probably per brand of LED. If the resistors do not exactly match the LED white will not be pure white.

Forgive my lack of electronics knowledge (i have a basic understanding) but how did you go about calculating what resistors to use? Why is the resistor for the red led less ohms than for the green and blue leds, wouldn't you want the resistor for the red led to be higher than the green/blue as the red led has a smaller voltage drop? sorry for the questions and i dont mean to question your diagram, I'm just trying to understand it as i dont have much knowledge in this stuff.

I would just use the led posted on your website but they don't seem to ship to the USA, or if they did it would be a large shipping charge and have to go through customs.

i did manage to find a Common Cathode RGB led that was similar to the one you suggest on your site, but with slightly different specs and was wondering how to go about calculating what resistors to use.

The one i found is as follows:
RedGreedBlue
Forward Voltage 2.0 V3.2 V3.2 V
Max Forward Current 20 ma20 ma20 ma

I think i could possibly calculate this out if i knew what the supply voltage was going to each LED (ie what voltage goes out to pins 7, 3, and 4)? but i could be wrong here as im not too familiar with this stuff. (either way it would be handy to know if you happen to know)

Does anyone have any idea on how to figure out what resistors to use? blink I honestly don't know how you go about calculating this and would be extremely grateful as to any insight you can provide. Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: 10 August 2010, 13:46:07 by taco-man » Logged
hveijk
Guru

« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2010, 12:37:42 »

To start: you can do without the resistor, the current protection of the COM port (7-11mA) very nicely matches the maximum current the LED can handle.

There is no way to calculate the resistor values (or al least it will be very hard to do so). There are too many factors that influence the amount of light the LED produces.

The values for this LED I have found by using potentiometers (variable resistors) and tuning until the right brightness was reached.

If you are using a true COM port (not a USB to serial converter) you can leave out the resistors and use the Intensety control of the later LEDSdriver versions to tune the brightness, works even better than fixes resistors because you can tune them for every color.

Slick Solutions (subforum) - MCE Standby Tool, LEDSdriver, Slick Radio
techiedork

« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2012, 20:20:05 »

Hi all,
    Thank you for all this info! I have a question, though. My LED is slightly different than what is shown on the picture above, so I am not sure which leads should be connected to which serial pins. Can you please give me some advice?

As far as I can tell, my LED's layout looks like this:

If you can let me know the correct pins, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,
David
taco-man

« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2012, 11:25:13 »

First of all, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful program  biggrin

On the diagrams in the original post pin 3 is incorrectly labeled in at least the Common Cathode diagram. I didn't test a Common Anode LED, but pin 3 should be TXD on a DB-9 cable so I'm assuming that one is labeled incorrectly as well. This wont matter if you just hook it up to a DB-9 cable, but if you are using the names of the pins to match up with a header on your motherboard (like I was) you will end up with your Blue LED not doing anything blink I hooked it up to the com port header in my motherboard and wondered why the blue wasn't working. After going over the diagram and testing it, I realized the Blue LED should be hooked up to TXD not RXD as shown in the original diagrams. Hopefully this will help someone else who is hooking up to a com port headed on their motherboard.

I took the liberty of updating the label for pin 3 in both diagrams, so you wouldn't have to. Hopefully this will help someone else who might run in to this issue, and again keep in mind I only tested this with a Common Cathode LED smile I'm not an electronics expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt until the author or someone else weighs in.

Full-color LED, Common Cathode (Updated Diagram)

Full-color LED, Common Anode (Updated Diagram)

Feel free to copy or include these or whatever in the original post if you like, and again thank you so much for making this program and sharing it. specool
« Last Edit: 14 April 2012, 11:28:53 by taco-man » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Dedicated Server Managed Colocatie VPS Webhosting + domeinnamen Domeinnaam registraties Linux beheer, server clustering, backup oplossingen